TWEET THIS!
Tweet This!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict

Dave Ware's No. 12 Walking Beam Engine

Dave writes: "This is my version of the No. 12 set Walking Beam Engine. I tried to follow the plan as much as possible. However, I found some directions to be wrong or irksome. Even with high resolution plans from Dr. Prune, I found some areas to be lacking in adequate or correct instructions. Has anyone else attempted this model?

I changed the Crosshead and Guides assembly the most. It called for bending of I (21 hole strips) in a circle. Even if I could, I wouldn't. Also G (seven hole strips) were to be bent. I used P20 (five hole strips formed) with long screws. AX (19 3/4" axle rods) were to be cut. Even if I had them I wouldn't cut them. I used 12" rods and rigged anchor points inside the boiler. I avoid cutting and bending Erector parts except for bending the MDs in the carousel.

I couldn't make sense of what was supposed to be done for the beam support, so after a number of tries I built it to at least look like the plan as much as I could figure.

I used MN base plates for the sides of the base as they allowed overlap and could be used without mounting on a board. The rest of the base plates were S and Q as in the original to preserve the same size.

I had planned to use an 'modern' A49 motor, but realized that the energy in the two flywheels would probably put a lot of stress on the motor and drive gears when it was shut off, due to the worm drive. Not having any great ideas for a clutch mechanism and not having the correct motor from the original design, I used a P58. This worked very well although it takes a little while for the flywheels to get up to speed. I added S base plates on the underside to mount the motor. Overall, it runs very well and is quite impressive."